Fungus gnats or Bradysia spp may look tiny, but they are really annoying and harmful for your houseplants. Manufacturers of geotechnical lab testing bring useful tips to kill fungus gnats breeding in your houseplant soil.
Larvae if fungus gnats may damage the roots of your plants. These are tiny black bugs thrive in soil that is continually moist and has more organic matter. Killing these fungus gnats can be a tough job because nobody wants to drench their plants with a chemical that may damage or hurt them. You have better harmless options to get rid of them and liquid soap is one of them.
Killing the adults
You must follow this step-by-step guide to kill fungus gnats present in your houseplant soil.
- Fill about the bottom ½ of a deep bowl with apple cider vinegar. Adult gnats will get attracted to the odor of vinegar.
- Add five drops of liquid dish soap to the vinegar. The soap will help in breaking the surface tension of the vinegar and offer resistance from gnats.
- You can put this bowl near your houseplants. The adult fungus gnats will drown when they check the mixture. Change the mixture of bowl periodically.
How to kill the eggs of fungus gnat?
- Remove all decaying plant materials from the soil. You may also need to remove some of the top layer of soil to remove all material.
- Allow the soil to dry to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Mix 1 tbsp of liquid dish soap and 1 tsp of white vinegar in water that you will use for watering your houseplants.
- Pour this water every other time when you water your plants. Let the soil dry to a depth of 2 inches prior you water the soil again. This mixture of water will kill the eggs and larvae.
- Deep bowl
- White vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Liquid dish soap
- Measuring spoons
- Watering can
There are some sticky traps available in the market. You can prepare them at your home to kill white flies. Take a bright yellow colored card and cover it with a thin layer of honey. Attach this card to a toothpick and put it in the soil surface. Once the card begins to host tiny insects, dispose the old and start fresh.
Geotechnical lab testing manufacturers also offer tools and equipments to check the soil quality and moisture. You can ask for expert assistance and avail all details regarding these tools. For more info, you can search some articles online. EIE is among these manufacturers leading the market. You can contact them and share your requirements.